Monday, February 7, 2011

Sights and Sounds of the City During Chinese New Year

Drive up Fireworks Supermarket

Portable Potato Oven

Hey there ..Wanna Ride?

Lights in the City

Look Honey No cars....looks like a ghost Town

East Meets West According to Beer Bottles Chinese Bars..

Need a Guide to Which City?...

No trip is complete without a Trip Here....


Sights and Sounds of the City During Chinese New Year
This year of the rabbit, here in china I spent 5 of the 10 days in Beijing, with Sean, getting reacquainted of sorts with the traditions of what the city has to offer during the special holidays. Most times when I work in cities I have no time to really see and experience the traditions, and I am happy that I was able to revisit the city, and not have to work, but to be the tourist, of sorts caz my honey was leading me all over the city to the sights that I have not seen..Some of the places we went... (I arranged dinner by the way...)Dinner at Xiao Wang Fu, of which was excellent, and for those of you who haven’t tried Mr. Wong’s food I suggest you make it a Priority! Beijing home cooked food, is excellent and well worth the trip to one of his 4 restaurants.. I suggest you Google it, as my Chinese spellings of the places would destroy it indeed. Sanliturn and it’s never ending happy hours at blue frog, (my choice again, it’s like our hang out) as we sit with my Ipad and play the endless games of golf, while enjoying my cosmopolitans, and beef and eggplant spring rolls. The city has many sights to be seen, for those of us living here , of which I have for 6 years, things sometimes do not hit me at first sight, but maybe after a few whacks to the head I see things differently. Fireworks were a big part of this year’s holiday, you can see them being sold everywhere, and the night’s skies were lit up with the bright colors of red, green, gold, as the rockets went hurtling in the air, exploding into their lovely colors, and designs. Certain days the fireworks would explode starting at midnight and last well till 1am...the skies filled with color from every part the eye can see. The trips to the temples revealed even more sights with the sweet potato portable oven wheeling and dealing its hot smelling product to the locals to warm them as they are filled with the sweet flavor of the potato. The streets were deserted of which brought a quick notice to my eyes, this city is always filled with traffic, and cars coming from every end of the city it would seem, on this trip there were times when you could walk across the street and not see a car or bicycle for miles..Reminded me of a ghost town of sorts… Wandering down the streets you come across sights, one such window revealed more books of different places then I have ever seen in one shop here in Beijing, how it was lined up and displayed in the window definitely caught my eye, across the street of this semi closed street was what I like to call a east meets west kind of pub, beer bottles all piled up outside against the walls and door of a traditional Chinese store front, …many sight s and many sounds..So take the time if you can to visit china, Beijing and shanghai are wondrous places with many sights and sounds... (They definitely test your nerves some days) but it’s always great to share all the moments weather big or small with the one your with..…As I like to say food for the body, mind and soul…cheers~~

No comments:

Post a Comment